POETRY IS LIFE -

Thank you for taking time to read the material posted here. I would be pleased if you could comment, and I promise to comment back. Sincerely, Nancy

Followers

Saturday, June 19, 2010

One Hundred and Ninety Two

I can see you waiting
at Heaven’s Gate…
Your hand’s stuffed inside
your back pockets…
left leg baring all your weight.

You will be smiling, squinting
into the sun,
You’re wearing a cream
colored sweater, suede
patches at the elbow
and if it were your birthday
you would still be
one hundred and ninety two…

When I rode on your shoulders,
you were one hundred and ninety two…
When you held my wedding veil,
you were one hundred and ninety two…
When my children and their children
were born…
you were one hundred and ninety two…

At Yankee Stadium,
Central Park,
on State Street, Park Place, and
Union Street…
Climbing the back staircase,
lugging groceries …
you were on hundred and ninety two…

Some where in heaven
a little girl sits on your lap
and you’re telling her
how old you are.

Nancy Duci Denofio
all Rights Reserved

No comments: